Broccoli & Cheesy Stuffed Chicken
Chicken. Cheese. Broccoli. Ya'll the broccoli and cheese are stuffed inside the chicken! Now you know I don't have to convince you that this is about to be the bomb. Scroll down and let's get cooking! :)
4 chicken breasts
Lemon pepper seasoning
1 cup of broccoli
3 slices of pepper jack cheese
4 teaspoons of Boursin cheese
4 teaspoons of sundried tomato spread (or sub in diced sundered tomatoes if you can't find this)
Preheat oven to 375 F
1. Cook broccoli by sautéing in a pan with enough water to cover your pan, salt to taste and garlic paste. Cover the pan and allow the broccoli to get tender. Drain water, lightly chop broccoli and set aside.
2. Cut each chicken breast in half, but not all the way through. Think about trying to create a door hinge, so that you can open the chicken breast, stuff it, and then close the "door" back over the filling.
3. Once each piece is cut, season both sides of each breast to taste with all of your dry seasonings. Remember the lemon pepper seasonings typically have salt in them, so I put my kosher salt on both sides, but only put the lemon pepper on one side of the chicken.
4. Break your slices of pepper jack cheese into fourths, then evenly distribute the pieces amongst the chicken breasts, laying them on one side of the chicken. Next smear a teaspoon of Boursin cheese on each piece of chicken. Then a teaspoon of sundried tomato spread on each piece.
5. Evenly distribute the cooked broccoli amongst each piece of chicken.
6. Close the flap of chicken over the filling and secure the edges closed with toothpicks. I use about 8 toothpicks per piece. Don't worry about the toothpicks looking pretty, just get it closed tight and you'll remove them before serving.
7. Heat two tablespoons of oil in an oven safe skillet. Brown the top of the breast (approximately 3 minutes). Flip the chicken breasts over to the other side and brown for 3 minutes, then put the skillet directly into the oven.
8. Bake for 14 minutes.
9. Remove toothpicks and serve!
** I also use this same method with bacon and spinach. Fry up three strips of chopped bacon, sauté two handful of spinach with salt and garlic and layer this into the chicken breast with the other ingredients above (excluding the broccoli).