Vegan "Tuna fish" Melt
This vegan chick pea based tuna recipe that you can find here is the base for this delicious sandwich. 1x the recipe is enough for 6 sandwiches.
(for one sandwich)
1 oz Jalapeno Jack Cheese Alternative, slice thin
1 Tbsp Vegan soy-free mayonaise
2 Slices tomato
1/4 avocado, sliced
sliced banana peppers (optional, but gives nice spice)
1 Tsp Earth balance vegan butter (soy free)
2 slices whole grain bread (no corn syrup if possible)
1. Butter both sides of bread and toast one side in a hot skillet.
2. Place sliced cheese evenly on both slices of the toasted sides of the bread.
3. You can either put a lid over the skillet, turn the flame down on the stove and allow the steam to melt the cheese, or you can remove the bread from the skillet and microwave it to melt the cheese.
4. After microwaving (if you went this route), return the bread to the skillet and allow the un-toasted side to brown.
5. On each piece of toast, spread the mayo on first. Then layer 3 Tbsp of "tuna fish" on the bread in an even layer. Next build up your sandwich with the lettuce, tomato, avocado, banana peppers and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Put the top piece of toast on your sandwich and you're ready to dive into an amazing "I-can't-believe-it's-not-tuna experience!